Recent reports have suggested that the Trump administration, (read; Donald Trump himself), requested from Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that he nominate Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize. Why does Trump think that he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize? Who knows? Probably because Barack Obama got one (granted, mostly just for not being George W. Bush or John McCain), and he can’t stand the idea of the first black president winning something that he can’t.
Here are just five reasons why Lord Dampnut should never be allowed within a hundred miles of the Nobel Peace Prize:
- The 2018 winners, Denis Mukwege and Nadia Mura won “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.”
Trump, by contrast, has been accused by more than 12 women of sexual misconduct (one was 13 at the time), and is on tape boasting about how he likes to force himself on women.
- In 2017, the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons won for “for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons.”
Trump on the other hand, has attempted to dismantle the 2015 joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran, one of the more successful anti-proliferation treaties ever enacted. Moreover, Trump has urged Japan and South Korea to seek nuclear weapons, and he just rescinded the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces treaty with Russia, possibly kicking off another nuclear arms race.
- In 2015, the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet received the Peace Prize “for its decisive contribution to the building of a pluralistic democracy in Tunisia in the wake of the Jasmine Revolution of 2011.”
Trump steadfastly backs authoritarians and military strong men who are crushing democracy in their home countries.
- In 2007, former Vice President Al Gore shared the Peace Prize with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change “for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.”
Trump is a climate change denialist who pulled the US out of the Paris Climate Accords because he favors burning more coal and has generally adopted policies guaranteed to put billions of additional tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
- In 1993 Nelson Mandela and Frederik Willem de Klerk of South Africa won “for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa.”
Trump’s racist border policies have resulted in thousands of children being packed into prison camps, most of whom have very little hope of ever being reunited with their parents.